Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

21 August 2010

Tomato Blight?

tomato leaf blightI think the black blotch on this tomato leaf is tomato blight. I first noticed it three days ago, but didn't spray immediately as I should have done because I seem to have done nothing but spray this and that over the past month or so. This is why I recently reported the doom and gloom: It's not the pests and diseases which are causing it, but the constant use of chemicals. I don't like using them, and never have; I am all the time seeking ways to avoid them.

Up till this year, I had got my garden relatively free of these problems (I'll explain how later). But I suppose it's the influx of all the new stuff which is causing the trouble. Now am having to start all over again.

I had thought that the tomatoes were beyond hope. I didn't believe those who told me that some varieties of tomato rolled their leaves naturally. And I don't know why I didn't do a 'Google' search for tomato leaf roll. However, I did one yesterday, and found plants which resemble mine. Apparently the problem is stress-caused.

setting tomato trussThis bottom truss of the problem plant has 26 set fruits (some are still tiny). They had been hanging around, not growing, but have recently started to swell. There are set fruits on the truss above, as well. And we have already seen that one truss has been discarded due to 'dry set'.

To be honest, I had more or less given up on the tomatoes; I had taken my eyes off the ball. Now I have decided to take interest once more.

We can leave the moral issues of whether spraying is necessary or not. This blight is the same sort of thing which caused the dreadful Irish Potato Famine; IT DEFINITELY NEEDS NIPPING IN THE BUD, STOPPING IN ITS TRACKS.

Have sprayed again with 'Dithane', probably too late. I am now monitoring the situation very closely. Will keep you informed.

No comments: