Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

21 August 2010

Summer Waterlogging

I think we know by now that roots need air, as well as water. I don't want to bore you any more. But it's worth bearing in mind just how sensitive plant roots become to lack of oxygen at higher temperatures. In other words, you need to watch those thunderstorms.

yellowing fuchsia leafThis yellowing fuchsia leaf is showing the first signs of chlorosis caused by being left too wet for too long at too high a temperature. The lower leaves are affected first; these are quite often found lying on top of the compost, usually a sure sign of either low light or of waterlogging.

As with most plant ailments, the first reaction must be to move the plant to somewhere cooler (but light), then dry it out. If you reach it in time, the problem should end there.

If in doubt about the weather, leave the watering, if you can. I usually get trouble when I have watered in the morning and it pours down whilst the pot is still wet - that's what happened here.

4 comments:

Claire said...

You mention something about roots needing air in this post. Could you put something about this in the beginners area

Jimini said...

Claire, thank you for your request. I am truly grateful. I hadn't noticed that I had omitted something so important.

I have put something on the main page (see 'Problems With 'Beginners') about the 'Beginners'' section - hope you can follow my meaning.

I have also included one or two more of the older posts which might be of use to new visitors - one on weed control and two more on oxygen requirements. Problem is, if I put too much on, it will be too overwhelming, and much is not absolutely vital to keeping plants alive.

I apologise to all novice growers. I seem to have been too involved with chronicling the day-to-day events in the garden.

Thanks again. And best wishes. I really do appreciate your interest. And if you have any further suggestions which will be helpful to new growers to help them better understand the process, I am all ears.

P.S. The gardening jobs will soon be winding down. I thought it might be a good idea to go into the background of how plants grow, over the winter months. We can then discuss more about the roots' requirements, etc. What do you think?

Claire said...

I think a beginners course could be useful, though at the moment most of the things I want to know are on there. What else would you add?

Jimini said...

The truth is, I don't really know what I could add. It might be more a case of what I could omit.

Perhaps the blog has become too diverse in an attempt to please everyone. In many ways this is a good thing. But it might prove a bit overwhelming to new growers unable to separate the relevant (to them at that time) from the irrelevant.

Although, having said this, it should be re-stated that this is not intended to be a gardening course - it is a course on how to grow plants - any plants. What I mean is that I feel that if we can achieve a deeper understanding of the principles of how plants work and how to recognise and cater for their requirements, our whole relationship with our plants would change. And I think we would achieve much more fulfilment, since we would become less dependent upon the opinions of others.

Plants are plants. They all have much in common. This blog is about recognising and catering for this commonality rather than differences. It is about keeping growing as simple, as efficient and as effective (including cost-effective) as possible.

Therefore, my idea is that readers should have a look at all posts and decide for themselves whether or not they are relevant to them. If they find them a bit overwhelming, or wonder what they are even doing there, then they should skip them and perhaps return later, if they wish. I have tried to make things understandable, step-by-step, from the start and to put in any explanations which might be necessary (though, obviously, I don't really know what these are, for sure).

So it is best for new arrivals to start at the early posts and work their way through. However, this is more difficult for those arriving at the 'Home Page' now, since the early posts are mostly out of date; it also might appear too overwhelming to catch up.

I suppose if all newcomers understood this, there might not be a problem. But even so, there will still be things I have omitted which all might find useful - or even necessary.

Best wishes, and thank you for your support. I am always grateful to hear opinions and suggestions. . ..