Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

10 March 2010

What Is It All About?

Hello, I am Jimini Skinflint and I hate gardening. It's just too much hard work. And it's never ending. There's always something needs doing, just when I don't want to do it. I often get the feeling I am not in control. I feel lost and helpless. And to make matters worse, it costs a fortune. There's always something needs buying. Never anything left for me. And the weeds never stop growing. And I don't have the time to water it. And there is just too much to learn. It is too overwhelming.

Yes. It's true. I really do feel that way. But only for some of the time. The rest of the time, I love gardening. Well, strictly, that's not what I want to say. I really mean that I love growing. I think there is a difference. Yes, growing really does it for me: it's growing that makes it all worthwhile. And I don't really know why. There is just something magical about the appearance of new life. I suppose it's the sort of thing that mothers feel just after giving birth. It really is wonderful.

But if we are to actually get to this point of new birth, there are things we need to do along the way. We have to get the d- things started, for a start. We need to cross the first hurdles, which seem so easy to experienced growers but miles high to novices. It is in the early days that novices give up, throw in the towel. Gardening's not for them. It is the same thing every time. It never works out.

Well, can I just say: If my last statement makes sense, then this blog is for you. I want to help you over these early days, the first few hurdles. Because I know that if only you can stick with it a while, you too will wonder with joy and amazement at the beauty of growth.

It's not easy. There are lots of ways to do the job, all of which might be right. And it is as perilous as travelling a mountain track in the depths of night. Yet there is a way. Many have already found it. And if you have, I hope you don't mind me sticking to basics. This is necessary. Because it is those things which seem too simple to ask about which cause us to stumble. And if I can say right now that I want you to ask me stupid questions in your comments. And when I say stupid I mean STUPID. Don't be afraid. After all, you might be smarter than you think. Then you will understand how stupid I am, as well.

My gardening life has been about finding new and creative ways of making gardening easier, quicker and cheaper. (I haven't got there yet) I use lots of unusual techniques - most of which seem crazy. But I like to be a little crazy. It is good for the soul. I am always amazed at how little I know about growing: To be honest, I don't really think I know enough to do this blog.

But the point is that you don't need to know much about gardening. This is why we use the Internet. Any information we need is now at the press of a few keys. It really is that simple. We are overwhelmed with knowledge. Really!

What we do need, though, is an understanding of the basics of growing: a basic grasp of how the plant thinks. (I told you I was crazy) I was once told that to grow plants you need to think like a plant, something I found amusing at the time. But it's true. You do need to develop a feel for plants. You need to be in tune with them. And if you can accept this, you will develop an instinct for growing; it will become second nature. And this is good; because the first thing I want you to do will be to leave them alone. Most novices kill their plants with kindness. You need to understand that sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. The plants will love you for it. But only sometimes. The trick is to know when. I am going to try to teach you this.

I want to give you simple (as simple as it can be, anyway) growing techniques which will fit all sizes, can be used in most situations. And just so we don't upset anyone, I want to choose the areas where you think most have fallen down. (You will have to tell me. I can only guess what they are)

And in addition, I want to choose those jobs which we all hate - I want to tell you how to save time on the weeding. I want to tell you why weeds are such a problem and how you can virtually eradicate them.

If the garden seems to be costing too much, I want to give you what I have learned about keeping the costs down. I have been doing this for years. It's a fad of mine, as you have probably already guessed.

Thinking about what I have already written, it seems very arrogant. Who am I to tell anyone what to do? Who indeed! But as I said, I don't think I know very much. All I am saying is that I am willing to share with you the little I do know - or think I know. And I hope you will do the same.

I don't know how long these postings will be, or even how often. It is very much trial and error, suck it and see. But let me be clear about one thing. This is a BASIC blog. It is about finding new and creative solutions to old problems. I hope it will be helpful.

Jimini

No comments: