Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

26 August 2010

Tomato Blight Update

tomato blighted leafFurther downpours have produced more blackened tomato leaves: almost certainly blight. Leaves were immediately removed and burnt.

I am not absolutely certain the problem is blight, but it fits. Both potato and tomato blight are caused by the fungus Phytophthora infestans.

The RHS 'Pests and Diseases' outlines the necessary conditions as:

'. . . consecutive 24 hour periods, each with a minimum temperature of 10 deg C (50 deg F) and each with a minimum of at least 11 hours where the relative humidity is 89 per cent or more'

I am not sure whether the 'Dithane' has stopped it or not. Of course, I should really have destroyed the whole plant. But there seems little point, since it must have arrived in the air; and if I grow more tomatoes next year, I will choose a blight-resistant variety (nevertheless, I will still give everywhere a good disinfecting, before then).

I suppose I am reluctant to lose the few fruit which are there. I just want to wait and see how things develop.

No comments: