Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

5 August 2010

Lawn Recovery

After last feed, lawn now greening up and growing well. Problem is, it contains unsightly dead patches from 'dollar spot disease' and hot dry weather.

Could just leave it alone and continue cutting at about 2.5 cm (1 inch); it would eventually green right over. But I'm impatient. I don't want to wait. I want it fully greened right now (yes, I know this is not possible, but you get the idea).

Fortunately, the box of lawn management tools contains tricks which can work acts of wonder on any lawn. We're going to use one of them here - a little earlier than intended (I said I was impatient). What's that? What is it? - the RAKE.

THE TILLERS' TIME HAS COME
Many people are reluctant to rake their lawn because it damages the turf too much. It does. But what most don't know is that the time of year makes a huge difference to the effect:
  • In spring, the the lawn takes some time to recover from the thinning out.
  • However, in autumn, raking has the opposite effect - IT CAUSES IT TO THICKEN.

    lightly-raked lawnLightly raking a lawn (as we did in late spring) in autumn causes it to tiller. i.e. It induces side shoots to grow out from the main stems of the grasses. So instead of having one stem, we have a clump of stems. And it's this which causes the thickening. Good, eh?

    This trick is so good it has to be seen to be believed. I usually wait until after the first moss treatment so I can rake out the unsightly dead moss as well. And I have to be honest: I really should wait now; after all, it's only another couple of weeks.

    My experience is that this thickening effect only happens once; it's never as good the second time. So, if you can, get your moss sorted out first, then do the raking (only lightly, remember). This will give the turf time to thicken before winter - something to be proud of, not ashamed of. As for me . . .. Now, where's that raker?

No comments: