Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

12 August 2010

The Good News

this geranium is really getting goingAfter reading through the past few posts, my heart in in my shoes. Nothing but doom and gloom. Or so it seems. But things aren't quite so bad, you might be pleased to know. It's just, I thought some troubleshooting might be helpful (what? you mean there's more?), and I'm one of those persons who likes to get the bad news first. Anyway, let's change the record. This geranium (you saw a leaf of it in March) is now really getting going (the plant is about 10 months old).

This is good news: I was worried I might have overdone it a bit on the watering recommendations. But the 'proof of the pudding . . .', as they say. 'What can't speak can't lie', and all that . . .. Well, it can; you'll just have to take my word for it. You do, don't you?

The only thing I would say is, I have given it more feed than normal (which, as you know, is next to none). It's been fed with 'Phostrogen', every other watering. It's rather difficult to explain, but it has received about one third the recommended feed in total (i.e. about 2/3 of the dose recommended for every watering, but given only every other watering). Eh? (why can't I just keep things simple?) So it's been softer grown than normal. But I needed some fast results. I'll explain how and why, soon.

And it's not just the geranium. There have been other successes, too. Some have been surprises (well, at least I'm surprised). Plants which I thought might keel over have suddenly performed well . . ..

No comments: