Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

11 May 2010

More New Kids

Ailsa CraigIt's no use. I just can't face all those lettuce (most of them have taken) without some tomatoes. So, against my better judgement, I picked up two 'Ailsa Craigs', the last two left in the nursery (I only wanted one, but I couldn't leave the other).

When I got them home, I could see why no-one wanted them. I suffer from this rare kind of purchasing blindness. I just cannot see faults whilst someone is stood over me (I suppose it might be like the publishing blindness I suffer with this blog - I can't see any faults until it is published).

brown base of stemApart from the fact that they have been neglected (as seen by the dry roots showing through the base of the pot, the elongated shape and the pale lower leaves), I was alarmed to spot this brown base on one of the plants. It looks suspiciously like root rot.

good white rootsHowever, as you can see, the roots look quite healthy (they are white, not brown). And the brown base of the stem is firm, not soft. So we might just get away with it.

Re-potted them into 11.5cm (4 1/2 inch) pots of ericaceous (lime-free) compost.

Did not water; compost was moist enough for now.

No comments: