Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

3 February 2011

Pests Have Favourites - Usually Mine!

Most garden pests can be tolerated, at least to a large degree. And, if left to its own devices Nature has its own methods of dealing with most of them.

I am absolutely fascinated by the ways in which plants can not only resist attack by pests, but also communicate with both insect predators and with other plants, in the process. There has been much research of late, most of which has already been outlined, for example in this review by Sophie Wilkinson.

PESTS HAVE FAVOURITES - USUALLY MINE
If you were with us last year, you will recall the problems I had with snails on a hosta and on some dahlias. But it was only on certain plants, not them all.

This is typical of pest attack. They usually tend to attack just certain varieties and leave others. And these seem to remain attack-free, year after year. So the obvious way would be to keep the ones which survive without protection and discard the rest. This, I do - and given the problems I had with snails on one of the hostas last year, I am also thinking of doing the same here. Problems arise when favourites are attacked. What then?

As you know, I don't like using chemicals for pest control. I know I recommend them, but this is to show that pests can be controlled this way, and also that it's not a closed shop - although I would prefer natural control, I am open to any means possible to control them, especially to preserve my favourites.

But, more than this: There are certain pests and certain types of attack which I am not confident can be left alone. I am thinking of slugs, snails and vine weevils, which attack the roots. I have lost endless plants this way.

I know there are nematodes (these look like tiny worms and enter the pest to destroy it from the inside) which will work in the soil. But these are expensive and will only work in warmer conditions - not now when the slugs are doing the worst of their damage on the tender young delphinium roots, and vine weevil grubs are attacking azaleas, primulas and pansies the same way.

No comments: