Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

3 February 2011

Has The Early Winter Confused The Plants?

untidy geraniums in borderLast year was the first time I didn't cut back the old foliage on the border plants before winter. And, given the low temperatures, it's just as well. Leaving it could have done those dahlia tubers left in the ground a big favour. But now the Cranesbill geraniums are looking very untidy. I can't stand it any longer; I'm having a tidy-up.

new cranesbill geranium budsFound these new buds beneath the old foliage. Again, I was surprised. Because once again, although these geraniums usually show early growth, I don't remember it being this early. But I could be wrong. I am left wondering if the low temperatures arriving so early in the winter have confused the plants into thinking the season is later than it is. I don't know if you are finding the same?

P.S. These plants can be dug up and thinned out by splitting, if required. Geraniums can be pulled apart by hand. But if the plants are more resistant, just divide them into two parts with either a knife or sharp spade. The two back-to-back forks method is just too much trouble.

No comments: