Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

21 March 2010

Weather Creates Quandry

This bout of rain has been very welcome and has done much good. As you can see from the bursting Hawthorn buds, spring growth has finally begun in earnest; we shall have to, as well.

Because of this I am left in a quandary as to how to progress. Many of you will have gardens and might be looking for specific advice. And perhaps this blog is the type of place that should be giving it, I don't know.

But as I said at the start, there are many different ways of growing, all of which might be right. I came to the conclusion years ago that growing is more of an art than a science. I have not deviated from this position. Part of the problem is that gardens vary so much in their individual characteristics; what would suit one garden might not suit another, even one next door; and added to this, treatments depend so much on what has gone before.

Gardens are extremely diverse and complex. Realistically, it would be impossible to give anyone advice, especially since I am unfamiliar with your situations. To pretend otherwise would be folly.

A BASIC BLOG
This is a basic blog progressing from first principles, onward and hopefully upward. Although I cannot deal with individual situations, I can discuss and explain the fundamentals of growing and how they can be adapted to suit different environments and growing conditions; and this indeed is an objective.

Since, as you can appreciate, this is beyond the current scope of a few paragraphs per day, and since to go down this route now would mean deserting the new growers who have followed so far, I want to do two or three things:

Firstly, I want to ensure that what has been outlined so far has been fully understood and assimilated. I cannot tell you how important watering (the basis of the 'discussion' so far) is in the process of growing. It is literally 'make or break'. Therefore, I want to carry on demonstrating the basic watering and seed-growing techniques already begun.

Secondly, I want you to gain some appreciation of my own growing technique. This might or might not be right for you, I don't know; but if you don't mind observing it for a while, I will try to explain how it is based on the basic fundamentals of watering and other management techniques which I shall soon be describing.

I hope that when everyone is feeling confident, we can enter a discussion about these principles and about how they might be relevant to your own growing situations. We should all gain much from this.

You might have noticed that this blog is not about constant success. As you know, success is never constant, as much as we might like it to be. Success comes from understanding. And real understanding comes through the experience of doing, especially of doing wrong. We need to stretch the boundaries, break the rules, do things differently.

I want us to make mistakes. I want us to learn. I think we shall all get the most out of things this way and become better growers. I hope you feel the same.


Jimini

No comments: