Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

29 March 2010

A New Project

Just in case you are tired of hearing about Geraniums, here is a new project:

This young Fuchsia has been grown from a cutting (not by me). I want it to develop into a compact many-flowered plant.

I have cut the tips off the top leaves on one side to slow down the growth; it was becoming unbalanced (the cutting has been pinched out once, leaving two growing stems). I am also turning the plant each day so that the weaker side has the most light. Hopefully it will now grow evenly.

I want it to grow hard compact stems to provide a firm support for the rest of the plant (soft stems tend to collapse). To do this, I am keeping water and heat to a minimum.

I haven't done this before. It should be interesting to see how things go.

We should be able to take some cuttings as we go along.

Problem is we are back to winter again, with snow forecast this week.

No comments: