Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

18 March 2010

Help! It Hasn't Worked

16 days after planting the Basil seeds, the cup is empty - No sign of any life whatsoever!

It could only happen to me. The Coriander and Dahlia seeds I planted at the same time are doing fine. I felt confident they would; I have grown them before. Clever-clogs here chose to describe the Basil, which I have never grown before. After all, they said it was easy, didn't they; it's the Coriander which is supposed to be difficult.

I can recollect the last time this happened. I spent months staring at an empty seed tray, until one day I looked at the unopened packet - I hadn't planted the seeds.

Now, just in case you're wondering, and before anyone asks me, the answer is 'Yes. I've checked. The packet has been opened.' Mind you, knowing me, this doesn't necessarily mean too much. The cup could still be empty.

Let's try to be positive. What might have happened? What are the possible causes:

  • poor seed
  • too dry
  • too wet
  • too much light
  • wrong time of year
  • too cold

ANALYSIS
poor seed - It could be poor seed but it is unlikely, although it was cheap.

too wet or too dry - After carefully scraping beneath the dry surface, the compost is dark and moist. Not too moist, but just right to germinate seeds (I'm going to tell you soon what I mean by this and how to perform the test. No. Blow it. I'll tell you now. Pinch a bit of compost between finger and thumb. You should just be able to see water. If you hold it to your ear, you might be able to just hear it, that's if you have better hearing than me).

too light - The packet tells us to lightly cover, implying that these seeds will tolerate some light (some seeds will not germinate unless they are in complete darkness). I don't think this is the cause.

wrong time of year - The packet says that it can be sown indoors from January onwards. This will therefore not be the problem.

too cold - Packet also says that it should not be planted outdoors before May. This is a clue. Although it has been kept in an unheated porch along with the Coriander, which has germinated, it might have been too cold, even though the packet says it will grow at temperatures between 15 and 20 deg C (60 to 68 deg F). We have hardly had any sun to warm the porch.

WHAT TO DO
Although I could not find any seeds when I dug into the surface; because the compost was only damp and not wet, any seeds present should still be fine. They should just be sitting there awaiting warmer conditions.

I have planted another lot of seeds, both Basil and Coriander, and placed them in a warmer position. I am going to leave the originals in the porch to see what happens. We just need some sun (and warmth).

No comments: