Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

7 April 2011

Meet Son Of Turbo Pot Dryer**

son of turbo pot dryerYes. I know it's not much to look at (a bit of an understatement). But don't be deceived by appearances. This could be the best idea I have ever had (what do you mean, 'that figures?').

And before you ask, I'm not talking about the 6.25 cm (2.5 inches) pot made from the base of a 200 ml plastic cup*, ingenious as it is. No. I'm talking about the length of toilet roll, complete with twisted end stuffed down the inside of the pot. Who would believe this could be like 'Manna from Heaven' at the appropriate time (what, you as well?)?

As you know, I'm trying to keep my fuchsias outside, because of the light (it keeps them tight-jointed). But in strong winds the other week, they kept blowing around. So watered the pots to keep on ground. Needles to say, once watered, wind dropped. What to do? This was the result.

Although not shown in the photo (to maintain dignity), the toilet tissue was actually nearly 2 feet (60 cm) long, and dangling in the air. Left in the pot overnight, the compost had miraculously dried next morning. A brilliant wick. Fantastic.

* I made this to fit into the coffee jar propagator. But it's too flimsy and disturbs the roots too much when I pick it up. Not too good in the sun, either!. ** See also 'The Turbo Pot Dryer'

No comments: