Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

2 December 2010

Dormant Bulb

dormant bulbIf you're wondering why I'm showing you a drawing (don't you think my hand's becoming steadier since I gave up the drink?) of an 'onion', can I just say, that's not an appropriate attitude. No. With the hyacinths and daffodils now through, I thought I might point out firstly that a bulb is not a root, it's a modified shoot (I never shall get the hang of this botany thing - just when I thought it was safe . . ..). It has a very short stem and fleshy storage leaves. Also, the roots are called 'adventitious' because they grow from the stem.

The amazing thing about bulbs is that they contain next year's plant in miniature, including the flowers. So if you buy bulbs from the nursery or garden centre and they fail to flower during the season, don't blame yourself, it's not your fault - it was the bulb's (or the nursery's).

Incidentally, if your daffodils have been blanking (growing leaves only, without flowers) recently, they might have become over-crowded. Try lifting them and re-planting - it often does the trick. Add a little bonemeal to the soil first to help them along.

No comments: