Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

14 October 2010

Lifting Border Geraniums in Autumn

Although they will stand some slight frost, it is usually wise to be safe and lift border geraniums (pelargoniums) in time.

TREATMENT WITH FUNGICIDE
This is the first time I have ever treated my plants with a fungicide before lifting. I removed all infected leaves, then sprayed the foliage with 'Systhane Fungus Fighter' and allowed it to dry. I am concerned about the fungal leaf spot.

geranium with washed rootsFor clean soil/compost, I usually wash off all soil from roots before re-planting.

Plants can then be left to dry out, or - if light is adequate - can be grown over winter. In this case, I would cut them back by about one third after roots have had a week or two to get established, then make cuttings . Roots can be trimmed, too.

WHAT ABOUT COMPOST?
Multi-purpose compost can be used (especially when perlite or sharp sand (or both) has/have been added). But I have found soil to be the best medium in which to place the roots of over-wintering plants.

No comments: