Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

5 October 2010

Attention Urban Gardeners

I'm sorry to have neglected you recently - things have been hectic outside at the end of the season (it's not finished yet), as I'm sure you realise. Anyway, I'm here now.

Although there is no Urban Gardening Section (or any gardening section) as such in the blog, there is much in the earlier archives which I feel would be of value. If you look at the March postings, you should find a section on 'Growing on a Window Sill'. The idea here was to show growers how a window sill can be utilised to grow herbs such as basil and coriander; I actually used clear plastic pots.

However, as is the case with live studies, things did not work out as planned. The basil - which I understood to be easy to grow - failed to germinate in the cold spring, whereas coriander (which I have grown several time before) did. I hope you will find this study both interesting and useful.

A SIMPLE BLOG
This is a simple blog, as stated time and again. The idea is to teach general one-size-fits-all techniques which will allow anyone to scythe through the hyperbole of growing. It is really very simple. Remember, 'You just put them in the soil and they grow'.

I am concerned only to offer advice which I know will work (mostly because I have tested it myself). However, when I first started gardening, I found Dr. D.G.Hessayon's 'Expert' range to be reliable, informative and good value. They are especially good for troubleshooting (until I started this blog, I had used nothing else), so you should find your problem outlined in them.

Although they are all good, two are relevant here:

'The House Plant Expert' (for INSIDE the house and window sill growing)

'The Container Expert' (for OUTSIDE the house)

You will find them in most garden centres and booksellers; they are also available in libraries. If you are serious about growing, they will be a really good investment.

P.S. I am very interested in the feedback. It is my intention to focus the blog around the growing of plants rather than on gardening (which is well-covered elsewhere). You might be interested to know that my most treasured plants are growing on my window sills. We shall be spending time with them over the coming months.

Also, whilst you can still grow on a window sill, it would be best to be south-facing, since the daylight is getting too weak. Things will pick up about mid-February. Please bear this in mind if you experiment.

Thanks again for the feedback, it's much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Jimini

No comments: