Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

2 June 2010

JAWS XVI

holed in basil leafFound this attached to the basil plant, yesterday. I don't know why I always remove things before I have time to photograph them. Must be something to do with unwillingness (Oh, the shame!) to accept failure. It wilted pretty quickly - much quicker than expected.

Must have brought something in with new fuchsias. Trouble is, I don't know what. I am not an expert on jaw (mandible) marks, but these are definitely small, probably a woodlouse or earwig. I don't think it can be slugs; nor caterpillars. Have had a good look round but found nothing. Another mystery.

It is a good idea to keep new purchases in quarantine for a week or two, just in case they are harbouring pests or disease. I went against this advice.

There is also a black sooty smut on the underside of the leaves. Where will it end?

Sprayed basil with 'Rose Clear 3', which is a systemic (travels within the plant) insecticide and fungicide.

This basil is a real problem. Sometimes it is best to admit that one does not have the right conditions (or ability) to grow certain plants, and admit defeat. Think I will keep it just a while longer.

No comments: