Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

20 May 2011

Feathery Coriander Leaves

feathery coriander leaves are a sign it is going to seed
When coriander leaves become deeply fissured and take on a feathery appearance, the plants are running to seed. Although still edible, they become bitter. This happens from this time through till August in the UK.

I am not sure what causes this. Some say it's the hot weather. But I don't think it is. Coriander seems to grow normally during hot Augusts. So it could be caused by shorter summer nights (i.e. it's a 'photoperiodic' response (induced by daylength)).

Photoperiodism is common in plants in temperate regions where seasonal climatic differences exist; but I don't think it's so common in Mediterranean plants, as I think coriander is. I could do with some advice on this.

Plants constantly manage daylength using phytochrome in their leaves. Their many activities never cease to amaze me.

No comments: