Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

19 April 2010

Re-Potting Coriander

The Coriander has grown too big for the tiny plastic cup. It needs watering every couple of days, and the leaves are looking rather small. I thought it might be a good idea to put it into a larger pot to allow it to develop to its full potential. I have used a 13 cm (5 inch) pot, plus my old potting compost I am trying to use up.


I find it best to use an empty pot of the same size to make the hole in the compost. It is easier to add compost around it when it is empty. This compost is rather too wet. I was afraid of drier compost collapsing into the hole when I removed the pot (Ideally, the compost should be just changing colour).



put roots into hodeThere is a good root growth here. Take care not to disturb the sides of the hole when inserting plant. And give sides of pot a good tapping and light downward bashing onto work top to make sure compost has made good contact with roots. If the tap root is running around bottom of pot, it should be broken off. This will encourage development of secondary fibrous roots.


This process usually makes a fantastic difference to growth rate.

No comments: