Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

9 September 2010

Hollow-Tined Lawn

hollow-tine holes in lawnBefore top-dressing the complete lawn, I hollow-tined a small part comprised of wet heavy soil.

My lawn is a problem because the soil varies in texture from almost clay at one end, to almost sand at the other (yes, I know it's just right in the middle, and I can't have everything; but it's still difficult to manage).

I don't know if you can see (probably not) that the spacing between rows varies from about 10 cm (4 inches) to about 12.5 cm (5 inches). I only tined a few yards. I would have done more, but the tiner kept clogging up.

However, I feel that, provided water can get into the turf, the best time to aerate the lawn is after the end of cutting: and there's still over a month of this left, yet.

Nevertheless, I have found that deliberate aeration greatly enhances root growth. This is important, because I believe that the grasses grow a new root system each season. We are always starting each year afresh, so to speak.

Re-seeding
I added about 17.5 grams per sq metre (1/2 oz per sq yd) of grass seed before I applied the top dressing.

No comments: