Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

1 July 2010

Jimini Feeds Plants - Introduction

I know I should have told you earlier. I've been avoiding it. But the truth is, I don't really know HOW I feed plants. I just have a look at them and, if they look as if they need feeding, give them a bit of what I think might do them good.

Sometimes it works differently: I don't look at them 'till something prompts me they need feeding (it's like that thought which reminds us when we've forgotten something). Don't ask me how this works - instinct, I suppose. And this seems to work the best (now can you see why I'm worried about me?).

This is not very helpful, I know. But it's how I do it (you did ask).

WHAT DO WE FEED THEM WITH?

Once, I only used two feeds: 'Phostrogen Soluble Plant Food' (used as a liquid) and bonemeal (given as a solid, at planting). However, upon beginning this blog, and on reading the recommendations of the experts, I am rather confused as to how I managed to grow any plants at all, other than poor stunted offerings with one or two flowers (reminds me of my mother's geranium, her pride and joy).

I am so affected by this reading, I have been trying other feeding systems (not just feeding, I have re-assessed my whole growing system). And I have to tell you: so far, I am not over-impressed. The results seem no better than my own. Actually, they do not seem as good (and in the process I managed to amost destroy a pelargonium (geranium) which had been flowering incessantly for over two years (maybe even much longer)). I am not blaming these other systems; I am blaming my lack of familiarity with them. They probably ARE better. It doesn't matter. As I have said on several occasions, 'If it ain't broke . . . '. When will I ever learn?

What amazes me is how little attention plants actually need. The less we try to help them, the more they seem to appreciate it. We should bear this in mind at all times.

When I described watering, I tried to give you a one-size-fits-all, easy-to-follow technique - one which might not give you perfect results, but will nevertheless produce a result (and a pretty good one, at that). I intend to do the same here - soon (and, you'll be pleased to know, we are back to bonemeal and 'Phostrogen').

Don't be impatient. We shall be feeding them soon enough. What you need to understand is, they will have been fed by the nursery with slow-release feed; some of this should still be left. There. Feel better now? First, let's look at a few things.

WHY DO WE FEED?

Although a complex process which need not concern us here, we should understand that feeding fuels two distinct processes:

  • the building of a strong framework and rooting system, to support the flowers and absorb the light
  • the production of flowers and seeds
Feed contains the three major nutrients: nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium (you don't have to know all this (but it's useful), so skip the rest if you wish - go to 'Jimini's FEEDING RECIPE'). Many more elements are present as well, but these are the really important ones - for the moment, at least. So what do they do?

Roughly speaking:

  • Nitrogen allows plant to produce protein for growth
  • Potassium hardens the plant structure, making it more disease-resistant, and gives good colour to flowers


N:P:K RATIO

Each type of feed contains a specific ratio of Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P) and Potassium (K). This has already been discussed.

As far as we are concerned here, bonemeal will provide both the nitrogen and phosphorus to produce the framework and roots. This is usually applied at planting.

Later, once the plants have grown, 'Phostrogen' will supply nutrients to complete this process. It will strengthen this structure and provide the potassium for flowering. Simple (it's not simple - but as far as we're concerned it is).

Some of you might use a high nitrogen feed such as 'Baby Bio' or 'Miracle Gro' Nothing wrong with this. But bear in mind that this type of feed will produce more leaf and stems of a softer nature. We have already talked about hard and soft growing.

This system (the type described here) is more of the 'hard' type.


Most of us believe that we can feed flowers. In other words, by applying feed to flowering plants, they will produce more. No. Once flowering has been induced, watering is more effective than feeding. We need to watch that too much nitrogen feed does not remain, else this might induce the plant to keep increasing the framework at the expense of flowers, giving massive green plants with few, if any flowers. We want compact (but not too compact) strong plants covered with blooms of beautiful colour.

No comments: