Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

1 July 2011

Slow-Release Lawn Feeds Create Problems

lawnAlthough slow-release lawn feeds have a lot going for them, they also create problems. I'm not referring to the fact that the grower loses nearly all control over the rate of food release to the turf (because they work best in wet, warm conditions and hardly work at all in cold, dry ones). No. There's another problem: They preclude work on the turf whilst they are active. And because some of them last over four months, this means for the whole summer.

Normally, this would not be a problem. But it is on my lawn. I can't rake out the old dead grass, which would help get air and water in to rejuvenate the turf, because if I do this I will also remove the remaining feed. Not ideal.

No comments: