Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

22 July 2011

All That Rain Wasted On Lawn

rain gaugeIt hardly seems credible. Three days and three nights. Almost incessant rain. Nearly 10cm (4 inches) in a week. Enough to get down at least a couple of feet. Maybe even deeper. Even in the driest soil. My lawn never ceases to amaze - parts are still almost dry.

fork hard to get into lawnOf course, I should have allowed for the thatch. I should have known the rain would not penetrate, not without pricking a way through. After all, I've talked about it often enough. And anyway, it was too hard to use the spiking tool. Even now it's hard to push a fork in.

I could have gone out in the rain. I could have spiked it once the turf had begun to soften. But I would have got very wet. And I suppose I figured it would stop raining a while. It didn't. And now it's too late. The rain has gone. At least that which was most valuable. All that rain wasted . . . Blast.

No comments: