Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

8 July 2011

Fluted Leaves On Dahlias

fluted dahlia leavesThese fluted leaves are on the 'drought resistant' dahlia started earlier in a tray (see 'Dahlias Started In Trays Are Short-Jointed')

Given that the plant has received no water from me whatsoever - even at planting - apart from a couple of inches or so of natural rainfall (dahlias usually need at least an inch per week; perhaps more), it is easy to suppose it is fluting its leaves because it is desperately thirsty.

And if I were to tell you it has still received no water from me and, furthermore, having stood under the blazing sun for another couple of days, it is still standing and not looking too bad, you might think I'm kidding you. I am not. Although heavy rain is imminent, as I write this it has not arrived.

When I first saw the fluted leaves, I thought the plant was short of water. The loose surface soil looked like dust. But the leaves were firm, not limp; and on digging down a couple of inches, I could see some moisture. Even so, I think I would have still watered the plant had I not been determined to see how the dahlias will turn out without giving ANY water apart from natural rainfall. It's been a bit of a bare-knuckle ride - but so far, so good.

We saw last year that begonias flute their leaves as protection against strong mid-summer sun. I haven't noticed fluting on dahlias before. But it looks like they might do the same thing - especially when water could soon be in short supply.

No comments: