Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

3 March 2011

Fuchsias Seem To Root Well In My Soil: Should I Add Perlite?

fuchsias rooted in soil last autumnSorting out the fuchsia cuttings taken last autumn, I came across these lovely roots on a soil-based cutting from last July. As you can see, there is lots of new white growth. I said last year that fuchsias seem to root well in my soil (unsterilized). I suppose this is because it is quite light (gritty), and not too acid.

I really like the look of these roots. And watering doesn't seem to be a problem with soil in the autumn. I didn't get problems with botrytis, as I did with soil-less compost - even with added perlite. Garden soil contains anti-pathogens which combat lots of plant fungal diseases.

The only problem is that it can tend to puddle, thereby preventing air getting to the roots. Perlite might solve this. It would help hold moisture whilst keeping the surface open.

But there is also the problem of unwanted pests with unsterilized soil.

No comments: