Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

3 March 2011

Cyclamens Like 'Phostrogen'. But Don't Over-Feed

cyclamen nearly in full flowerThis cyclamen has not turned out too badly after its poor start last year, and will soon be in full flower. Since potting up in multi-purpose compost, it has received only plain water, apart from a tiny pinch of 'Phostrogen' (just a 'smell').

I have found this feed ('Phostrogen') to be wonderful for all sorts of plants and have used it all my life. I would strongly recommend it for all novice growers. But you must not over-feed. If you stick to about a third of the recommended rate, and only apply once the plant is well-established and is looking under-nourished, you should have no problems. Remember, over-feeding is a big killer of all plants - much bigger than you might suppose.

I do not like leaves to be dark green all over, as is the case with a lot of fast-grown plants. Contrary to opinion, I don't think this type of plant grows to its potential. My plants seem to grow best when the leaves are a vibrant lightish green in the centre and darker around the edge. It is difficult to explain. But you will recognise this when you see it. You can feel the good vibes from the plant - at least I think you can (there I go again, take no notice).

I suggest novices have a look at last year's notes on feeding. Just click the link at the side.

No comments: