Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

19 May 2010

Update on Geranium

The geranium (pelargonium) you saw last week has survived. However, the leaves pictured still look the same. But, unlike flaccid (dehydrated) leaves, they are now quite firm, not limp. And they have got some sheen back - they don't look like dull suede shoes any more. Looks like the problem might be some weedkiller on my hands, or similar.

Many weedkillers contain plant hormones which incite plants to do strange things. Too high a concentration is usually fatal for plants (that's how they kill weeds).

Some plants are very sensitive. I shall never forget, years ago, watching my roses keel over after 'smelling' 2,4-D. I have washed the watering can out more thoroughly ever since.

I don't really think the problem is weedkiller (I hardly ever use it). But I can't think of anything else it could be.

I'll just give them a bit more of a rest, then tell you how to restore them, like new.

No comments: