Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

28 October 2010

Time to Reflect

As the seasons change, new challenges emerge. This season is no different, as demonstrated by the recent unexpected hardish frost. Yet, strangely enough, I find the winter to be one of the most interesting (and certainly most challenging) of times.

Because most plants close down at this time, I suppose it sort of focuses the mind on the growth process of the odd few plants which are still active. Things are moving much more slowly - only ticking over - so there is time to observe (be warned: it's a bit like watching paint dry) and to reflect. And because resources (such as light and temperature) are limited, we are challenged to dig down deeper for creative solutions.

I think it true to say that I have learned more about growing, during the winter months than at any other time of year; and this despite my activities being more or less reduced to window ledges. Strange.

As far as this blog is concerned, I should now have time to discuss and explain all those things I didn't have time for during the season. And in addition, I have some interesting (at least I hope they will be interesting) projects in mind. The only problem is that I am very much in the dark as to whether they will work or not. I hope you don't mind that. But it is how I like to be: trying new ideas and techniques. Of course, needless to say, they usually do not work as intended.

No comments: