Learning how to water plants to increase growth in pots, container or garden - especially how to water roots and tubers. Specialities: root growth or tuber growth of lawns, fuchsias, geraniums, dahlias and begonias.

17 February 2011

No Moss In Lawn: Feeding Delayed

lawn free from moss following autumn treatmentFollowing last autumn's treatment, then a single treatment with ferrous sulphate mosskiller in November, the lawn now seems to be for the first time completely free from moss.

AUTUMN TREATMENT
Of all the things I did last autumn, I think lowering the acidity by adding ground limestone had the most effect. I say this because this was the first time I had done it; I had been thinking of doing it for years, but always shied away on the grounds that it might make the turf susceptible to fusarium disease, and also might create a worm cast problem. So I did it in the end out of sheer desperation.

Thankfully, the news is good on both fronts:
  • There seems to be less disease than usual
  • There is only one worm cast since the treatment (I did get occasional ones before this)

DELAYED SPRING FEEDING
I usually feed with a spring feed with ferrous sulphate mosskiller at this time of year, but I came unstuck last year when the weather turned nasty. So I have decided to delay feeding a week or two longer.

No comments: